Follow me here:

Follow me!

Friday 12 April 2013

Albums That Lift My Mood.

           So I've just written an assignment for uni that has potentially fried my brain, so what is the first thing I reach for to remedy this?  Music, of course.  Music is something that I know can instantly lift my mood or help me to get over brain strain (as is the case at the moment!)  So I thought I'd introduce you to a few of my favourite albums.... Note few, I have so many LPs it's hard to choose favourites without leaving out something out!

Here goes, my brief list of favourite mood improving albums.

San Cisco - San Cisco


     The debut LP for the WA quartet starts off slow and melancholic with "Beach," but boy does it pack a punch when you get to songs like "Fred Astaire" and "No Friends," which have you bopping away without a care in the world.  The combination of Jordi and Scarlett's vocals make for lovely easy listening, and the catchy melodies have you singing in seconds.
     My personal favourites on the album would have to be the foot-tapping "No Friends" in the upbeat stakes and "Nepal" for lyrics and piano.  However all the songs are worth multiple listens.
      San Cisco's album is extra special - not just because it's signed by the lovely band themselves - but because I got to see them perform it live... Oh the nostalgia.

Motor Ace - Shoot This


   The oldest of my selections, "Shoot This" took a lot of work to find.  It's not online and CD's of it aren't printed anymore, and I was starting to lose hope.  That is until I walked into a second hand record  store one Spring afternoon... I struck gold!
    If you're after classic Aussie rock/alternative Motor Ace is your band, with classics like "Keeping Secrets," "Carry On," and "Ride The Wave" all on the one album, you're in for a great 50 minutes.  
     Favourites on this album, again, are many, but "Keeping Secrets" is definitely number one, purely for the many sing-a-longs it created in the car in the early 00's.  
   "It's the way I feel.  Speak up when you know that it's real."

New Empire - Symmetry 


    Another album of songs that really speak to you is "Symmetry" by the Sydney boys New Empire.  Hope and strength is a theme throughout, with songs varying from the pulsing "Train on Time" to the ballad that is "Ghosts" to the anthemic "Give Me The World."
    Again New Empire is a band I've seen live, and their performance is better than the album, if you can believe that!
     Favourite songs would have to be "Train On Time," "Tightrope" and "Give Me The World."  All for their amazing and melodies, which make them impossible to not sing along to!

Emma Louise - Vs Head Vs Heart


      "Vs Head Vs Heart" is the long awaited debut from Emma Louise, and I have to say it's worth the wait.  Soothing and soulful is how you'd describe it.  All the songs carry a theme of heartbreak or melancholia, but you'd never know if you just listened to the lovely melodies and Emma's voice caressing the notes.  While most of the album is fairly laid back, tracks like "Boy" and "Freedom" up the tempo a bit to a danceable pace.
       Favourites would have to be "Stainache" for it's beautiful piano, and "Freedom" for it's incredibly catchy chorus.

Gold Fields - Black Sun


     Last but not least is the infectious first album by Ballarat boys Gold Fields.  All I can say is that every song will have you nodding your head without you even realising.   Innovative use of tribal beats and harmonies make for an even more exciting experience.
     Favourites are definitely "You're Still Gone," "Meet My Friends," "Dark Again" and "Treehouse"... So most of the album basically.



So there you have it, some of my favourite albums.  Hope you can find some great new music!

5 comments:

  1. OK as if I don't spend enough money on iTunes, I now want to go and check all of these out! x

    The perks of being a hipster

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a really awesome music collection! I love your taste in music!! :)
    Hope you're having a Fierce & Fabulous Sunday!
    xoxo
    Crystal

    My Blog, Crystal Chizoba
    My YouTube Channel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm glad you enjoy them!

      Have a lovely week. :)

      Delete
  3. NO WAY! You love New Empire too!? Nobody I know knows them! I am absolutely in love with One Heart with a Million Voices and at the moment I'm also loving Staircase and Tightrope :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore them! And I'm waiting patiently for their new album, which is coming out soooooo soon. :)

      Delete