Follow me here:

Follow me!

Thursday 31 July 2014

The Lazy Girl's Guide to... Wearing red lipstick.

I am a lover of wearing bright red lipstick, and I have far too many shades red for one person.  I am not a lover of worn off lipstick though… You know the look, just an outline of red around the edges and no colour left in the centre… Definitely not ideal.

To combat this, I’ve compiled a lit of techniques, that just might save you from the awkward half on/half off bright lip.


  • Prime your lips. – Get rid of all those dead skin cells by using a lib scrub like the Lush Popcorn scrub. It’ll help make your lips smooth and ready to adhere to your lipstick.




  • Apply, blot, apply, blot. – I’ve found the best way to elongate your favourite red’s staying power is to apply it (over your liner), blot it with a tissue, apply it again, and blot it again.  This helps get rid of excess, which will easily transfer when eating etc.

  • Seal. – Not the animal… A product like Lipcote, when applied (and let to dry) will seal your lipstick, which helps it stay on.  (Lipcote is apparently “kiss-proof” … I wouldn’t go as far to say that, but it definitely lasts through eating and drinking.)
  • Drink using a straw. – This makes me feel like a complete twat when I’m drinking a bottle of water through a straw, but it works!  Why waste you Mac red on a bottle of water?


Top to bottom: Nars Velvet Matte lip pencil in Cruella, in Damned, Mac matte lipstick in Ruby Woo.
  • Matte all the way! – Matte lipsticks, I’ve found, last longer just in themselves. Because they’re not as glossy and shiny, they’re more likely to adhere to your lips. (My favourites are the Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencils – available from Mecca Cosmetica is Australia, and Mac in Ruby Woo).

So these are some of the tricks I’ve come across along the way.  I hope they’re in some way helpful.
Let me know if you have any more! I’d do anything to not have to reapply.


Beth. x

3 comments:

  1. I love the colour of the Nars Damned lip pencil! It's gorgeous! :)
    I'm always worried about it half coming off and I will walk around not knowing haha. But then it means that I never end up wearing any lipstick which seems like a shame haha!

    -Lauren :) x

    http://laurenellen1.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the Lush Lip Scrub.. it's amazing! I so want one of the NARS Satin Lip Pencils as I have one of the matte ones and I really love it xx

    Gemma // missmakeupmagpie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some gorgeous shades! I must try a lush lip scrub!
    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete